Thursday, August 25, 2011

New Buffy Movie No Fangs?

Original vampire slayer wants return in new 'Buffy'

A new Buffy movie? Am I the last to hear about this?

As you may have heard Warner Bros. is working on a new Buffy movie they're hoping will come out 2012.
Don't expect it to be too much like the show. This new movie was not written by Josh Whendon, in fact Josh isn't involved at all. Instead this movie was written by Whit Anderson.
Anderson has said that she was a big fan of the show she has acknowledge that some fans will be skeptical because of Josh's non involvement. I'm glad she knows it will be a rocky road since some Buffy fans are outraged Protest sites have popped up on the internet. The truth is you can't blame them Josh Whendon is an Oscar nominated writer whereas Whit has no commercial writing experience. Another reason to be skeptical buffy friends from the show will not be in the movie. Warner Bros  optioned the rights from movie creators Fran and Kaz Kuzui, but the characters from the show belong to Josh.
Fans aren't the only ones who are skeptical former Buffy cast members are also skeptical. Eliza Dushku (‘Faith’) had this to say “Joss [Whedon] made the Buffster [and without] him… I just don’t trust the girl. Or the world.”

Anthony Stewart Head (Giles)said this “The bottom line is if a movie was ever to be made, it should be made with Joss Whedon, whether it’s a retrospective or not. But it would be madness to do it without him. [The Kazuis] have the rights to because they have the rights to the original movie, but it should be interesting to see. It may be a bit like watching a car wreck.”
Josh himself has admitted to having mixed feelings about the upcoming movie when questioned about it. In his email response to E! Online's Kristin Dos Santos he had this to say:

"I always hoped that Buffy would live on even after my death.  But, you know, AFTER.  I don't love the idea of my creation in other hands, but I'm also well aware that many more hands than mine went into making that show what it was. And there is no legal grounds for doing anything other than sighing audibly. I can't wish people who are passionate about my little myth ill. I can, however, take this time to announce that I'm making a Batman movie.  Because there's a franchise that truly needs updating. So look for The Dark Knight Rises Way Earlier Than That Other One And Also More Cheaply And In Toronto, rebooting into a theater near you.
Leave me to my pain!  Sincerely, Joss Whedon."


I myself agree with Anthony Stewart Head this movie should not have been made without Josh. I was shocked about when a co-worker informed me that they were making a new Buffy movie without josh. My first reaction: What????
I had actually hoped they would make a Buffy movie but not without Josh and not without Sarah Michelle Gellar. What will happen to the Buffy wit we've all known and loved? Much like with the new Spiderman remake it's too soon and not wanted. This is a cult classic not Batman and robin the movie.

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward for this movie, it sounds interesting. Thanks for stopping by my blog, following back and i look forward being part of your blog. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I can't imagine it having the same feel without Joss.

    ReplyDelete